lunes, 1 de julio de 2013

Title: Mérida: a trip to History



BY DOUGH   

 One of the trips we took as part of our cultural exposure while we were in Spain was to a city called Merida.  What makes Merida different from other Spanish cities is the preponderance of Roman ruins; ruins that are considered some of the best preserved in the world.  Merida or as it was known during Roman times, Emerita Augusta, was founded around the year 25 BC by discharged veterans from Caesar Augustus’s Army.  These ruins are so well preserved partly because of the quality of the materials originally used to build the city.  
            The first site we came across were the ruins of the Roman aqueduct, this aqueduct had originally transported water from a lake which was over 5 kilometers away.  What is left is only a couple thousand feet in length but it is still extremely impressive.
Next we traveled to the site of the fort which had guarded the Puente Romano (Roman Bridge).  This bridge was so well built that I observed a police car drive across it. I think what amazed me the most about this was the fact that it had been built over 1000 years ago and was still able to handle such a load.

            We also were able to tour the fort and see how it had changed over the centuries as different conquering armies had altered it to suit their needs.  From there we traveled to the site of the ruins of the Theater and Amphitheater. 
            As a history major I am obviously biased in my interests, however for me this was the highlight of my trip.  Seeing these ruins in such a great state of preservation was awe inspiring.  When you add to that our ability to walk through and touch them; it just brought history alive in a way that nothing else can.  I mean here I was walking across the same bridges that the Roman Legionaries who conquered the known world did,  I stood in in the same amphitheater where gladiators fought and the people were entertained with both violence and horror.    Even if I enjoyed no other part of the trip (but I did) this would have made it all worthwhile for me.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario