lunes, 1 de junio de 2015

Blog #3

Roman Theatre
I had the opportunity to go to the Roman Theater in Mérida, Spain. I was able to see first hand the Roman architecture. In the Roman theatre I was able to see the bath houses, the garden, the temple, where the gladiators were kept, and where the animals were kept. Throughout the theatre I noticed some statues with out heads. I learned that when authorities changed, it was easier to only change the heads of the statues. It is said that there are hills of old heads from the statues piled on top of one another. Another thing that caught my eye due to missing pieces were the beautiful mosaic floors. The floors of temples and other buildings were not kept sacred until not too long ago, so people would take parts of the mosaic art. However, the museum that I went to in Mérida had full mosaic artworks on the walls. The museum taught me even more about the short Roman empire of Spain. The museum showcased weapons, pottery, and architecture. Right outside the museum was a restaurant. There was so many options on the menu of new things to try. I had a veal burger with goat cheese. Conveniently, I found out that that was typical of roman food along with wine and other things.. I would have loved to experience a meal at the Roman theatre while watching gladiators fight to the death. Don't get me wrong. I think it is inhumane to have slaves, let alone, make them fight to the death...and not to mention entertaining yourself with it. Unlike how I believe the Roman’s karma took place, I’m sure the food was good. When I was done at the restaurant, my friend gave me leftover food that she did not like and did not want to waste. As we were walking back to the train station, a man in need asked us for money. Instead, I offered him the leftovers of which he thanked us immensely. It encouraged my beliefs of how good things will come your way if you do good things for others. It made me think, “Maybe that’s why the Romans spent such little time controlling Spain.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario