martes, 9 de junio de 2015


Synergy

            As I sit to write about my time in Spain, I cannot stop the words of a favorite old song from running through my mind: “If a picture paints a thousand words / Then why can’t I paint you? The words will never show / The you I’ve come to know.” (Bread). Why this song at this time? The answer is simple. Just as the song expresses, there are no words to express the depth of my feelings about my experience and the wonder of Spain. Of course, I only have knowledge of a small piece of the country. My boundaries are limited by my time and my pocketbook.
            Nevertheless, if I were an artist, even if I could capture the beauty, I could not put the wonder on a canvas. I look at the pictures I have taken and am disappointed by the dull flatness of the image. Yes, the beauty is there. But the essence is missing. The essence I will try to carry home in my heart and bring out to wonder at again.
            This week, we visited Merida. Funny, I started to type that we had visited Rome – after all the footsteps of the Romans are still echoing in the streets. The history that defines the city is everywhere just waiting to be absorbed. When I think of the people who have walked there, bought and sold there, lived and died there, I am awed. The ruins tell the story of a people long past. I stood on the stage of an amphitheater built by King Agrippa. I walked in the dirt where the gladiators fought their beasts. I saw a coin engraved with the image of Caesar Augustus. Who knows? Maybe it was the one held in the hand of Jesus when He told the people to “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's" (New International Version, Mark 12:17).
            For me, Spain is more than just my studies, the places we’ve visited, and the people who make their home here. It is the synergism of it all: the people, the study, the beauty, and the places all joined together as one.
Works Cited
Bread. “If.” The Best of Bread. Hommes, Josh and David Gates, comps. Sony/ATV Tunes LLC, Board Stiff Music, Warner Publishing Corp. CD.
New International Version Bible. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 1196. Print.
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario