martes, 2 de junio de 2015

Week 3

My third week consisted of a trip to Mérida, Spain, going to the fair in Cáceres, and watching a bullfight for the first time in my life. During our tour of Mérida, we got to see the Roman theatre, the Roman amphitheater, and the second longest Roman bridge in the world. My favorite of the three was definitely the Roman theatre because I have seen numerous pictures and videos of musicians performing in that theatre, but actually being there was so much more fulfilling. The way the Romans set up the entire theatre was brilliant. My second favorite would have to be the amphitheater because that was where men would fight beasts like lions and tigers. It was awesome to walk in and around where the gladiators would wait until it was time for them to attack. It is crazy to think people actually did that, but I was able to experience that somewhat when I went to my first bullfight at the Cáceres bullring, Plaza de Argel. The first initial stab to the first bull was pretty intense. Yes, I cried, but after that first stab, I was able to watch the rest of the show. We were extremely lucky to be able to see Julián López Escobar, one the best Spanish bullfighters of all time. That day, he was awarded the dead bulls' ears and tail for above-average bullfights. As much as I loved my experience, I think I would have enjoyed it a little more if the bulls would have lived. I know it is an extremely old tradition, but to each their own. Lastly, I was able to experience one of the most popular fairs in Cáceres that is held here every year. I absolutely loved it. It is similar to the fairs in the United States in the fact that there are rides, games, food, bands, and venders. However, the fairs in Spain are way more fun. A lot more people go to the fairs, there are nightclubs at the fairs that are open until 6-7 in the morning, young people bring their own alcohol to drink at the fair before going to the clubs, and last but not least, there are churros which are to die for.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario