miércoles, 25 de mayo de 2016

Week 1 by Sandra Lozano

The main cultural difference I’ve had a tough time adapting to is the use of formal and informal words. In the Mexican culture using words like “usted” and “ustedes” is a sign of respect for our elders and people such as professors. In my own family I don’t use “usted” with my parents but I do with my grandmothers and older relatives. When I first used it with my host mother Laly she quickly corrected me and told me that in Spain it is not common to use “usted” and “ustedes”. I was then explained that those words aren’t used anymore because they are considered “too” formal. So I went from using these formal words all my life thinking they were used the same in every Spanish speaking country to trying to have it erased from my vocabulary these four weeks.
                Another major thing I had to get used to was the food. I am normally very picky with food and usually stick to what I know. I’m not the type to venture so trying new foods here every day has been interesting to my taste buds. Also, back home we normally have salsas on the side or in our dishes but here spicy food is not common at all. I enjoy that extra spice that salsa adds to foods but here I’ve been having to get used to not having it. My host mom on the other hand has bought me tabasco sauce to make me feel more at home. Overall, I love all that I’ve learned and experienced this first week.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario