miércoles, 25 de mayo de 2016

Week 2 by Gabrielle Bachis

This second week of being in Cáceres was filled with history and adventure. You literally go through a time capsule when you walk into the historic section of Cáceres. It is one of the most well preserved, historic cities in Europe. I was able to retrace the steps of those who have walked before me, from that moment to over a thousand years ago. As a city first founded by the Romans about 18 B.C., but was conquered by Muslims, and then finally Christians again after hundreds of years of war. Today, Spain shows the influence from its former cultures. You can see Muslim influence as well as deep Christian Catholic roots. It is first visible in the architecture, but as I have gotten to know the city and people more, the roots of their culture are deep, too.
The people here still hold many traditions. They have processions to honor the saints, stories of each city and how it was founded. There is constant activity for remembrance of the past and celebration of the future. This is something I especially love because they remember where they have come from to better understand where they are going. America does not have such enchanting or deep history. It runs a few hundred years old, but I have touched stone walls even older. I have walked the path of countless before me. Visiting the history of Cáceres, along with the other trip in Seville, has opened up my view. I am just one of so many people. It isn’t about my importance on this earth, how grand I can be. Yes, one person can make a great change on the earth, but it is the mundane, everyday life that is consistent. It makes me think, “no one is really different”. I want to be deep rooted, too.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario